Friday, May 13, 2011

Looking Up

I looked up from my sorrow,

Wiped tears aside and found


The day was new, the sun shone on

The world would still go round.


“How can this be?” I screamed and cried,

I’m sure to fly apart!

The center of my world is gone,

A stave goes through my heart!


I’ve got to learn survival, I reasoned

Through the pain.

My loved ones need me to go on

To share their lives again.


To laugh once more and plan ahead

For living, future times.

I had to think of someway I

Could WANT to start that climb.


And too, among the things HE loved

In me lest I forget,

My humor, spark, my drive and strength

When troubling times beset.


I looked up ‘cross that table there

And into eyes that cried,

So pained (like mine), so deep in grief…

Your loved one’s too had died.


And in the midst of so much hurt,

My heart felt such concern

For each and every heartache there,

We’ve all so much to learn.


And I listened, shared and wept

Together with you all,

A tiny light was lighted and

Some weight began to fall.


None of us is healed or whole,

We’ve not emerged brand new.

But we’re surely somewhat stronger now

In what we seek to do.


My friends, I’ve gathered strength from fears

I saw there in your eyes.

In quiet ways we’ve learned to help

Each other realize.


That looking up through veils of tears

We still can vaguely see

And help some other friend “look up”

THANK YOU for helping me.

Kay Daphne Redcoff

No comments: