Friday, September 04, 2009

Friends in Grief

Two bereaved mothers
met for an hour
became pals for ever
Friends in grief

I never knew Um Samar
until my son died.
Thousands of miles away she called
to comfort and console
Um Samar lost her daughter 3 years ago today
I lost my son
Almost 23 months ago today

We met only once,
Um Samar and I, for just an hour
She arrived draped in sorrow and aches
I was there drained and in despair.
Our eyes said it all
The enormity of the pain was too great not to behold
We held hands in affection and compassion
And when she looked thru my streaming tears,
my pain eased.

She showed me Samar’s photo,
Samar, glowing with life and beauty
I showed her my Haas’s last pictures,
Haas handsome and fit till the very end

Um Samar and I
Two bereaved mothers
met for an hour
became pals for ever

We sat in stillness and silence
until the sun set down
Until the day said goodbye
We felt safe to shed tears.
We held each other in love and peace.
No more alone,
But walking together into the pathway of grief.
hand in hand following our destinies.

We are two bereaved mothers
Who met for an hour
and became pals for ever

Friends in grief are true friends indeed.

By Najwa- Haas’mom
4 Sept 2009

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr.Huda Al-Mahdi

Wow !!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is really touching. May God have mercy upon their souls.

Mr. Khoury