Thursday, May 10, 2007

You Welcomed Me in the Sunrise

Descending the plane, you welcomed me in the sunrise,
Calling “Mother, do not be sad, in each city you will find me.
I welcomed you in the sunrise to relieve your pain,
Look at it and you will see me
Do not cry because you parted from my grave,
Nor on leaving your haven, my bedroom.
Wherever you go and wherever you turn, at your side you will find me,
Listening to your heart beats.
Look into your eyes and there you will find me.
If not for my siblings and father, you would have wished in death to join me
Today's journey is full of memories of our last year’s joyful one,
When we came to college campuses for my selection
I heard your whisper on the plane reproaching me for leaving",
You were saying, “if only you were with your siblings, whom you used to very much miss”
Repeatedly telling me about your separation pain
And that your best days were with them, aspiring to accompany them to university
How can I not be heartbroken, for instead of accompanying me, I carry you within me?
Where are you now my dearly loved daughter, please answer me?
No matter how beautiful the sunrise is, it would have been better if you welcomed me in person”

From: SAMAR: Sunset and Sunrise, Page 56
by Randah Ribhi Hamadeh, 2007, Copyright©
(Translated by Lina Ribhi Hamadeh)


No comments: