Saturday, April 14, 2007

If Only My Daughter Returns

If only… my beloved daughter Samar returns
The most beautiful of flowers and roses
The smile that brought heartfelt joy to everyone in her short life
The pride of each mother, father, sibling , friend and teacher in the world
The name everyone repeated, even those whom she did not know
O most beautiful Gulf pearl and most precious of jewels and necklaces
O butterfly who left her incense and perfume in every place she entered,
Her unique giving caused sadness spread in every house
And people’s love for her went beyond limits and boundaries
O Dear God, save me, for you are the Savior and the Generous
Return Samar to me with a miracle, the Able, God of Moses and David
How can I wait for that promised day even in my patience?
Though she is in each heartbeat, I want her to return
Without her my life journey is stumbled for she is gone
And I die every moment as the road ahead is closed
My hopes are in vain, no matter what I wish, Samar will not return
You strengthened Moses mother's heart though their separation was short
And returned her infant to comfort her.

If only Samar returns, even in a dream!

From: SAMAR: Sunset and Sunrise by Randah Ribhi Hamadeh, 2007,page 55

(Translated by Lina Ribhi Hamadeh)
Copyright© 2007 by Randah Ribhi Hamadeh

No comments: