Saturday, January 13, 2007

Maria Khoury wrote

Um Samar:

A day does not go by without me thinking of you! Thinking of your agony, your pain, your passionate pain-if pain is allowed to be passionate- and of your soul that has engulfed itself with the very intimate tragedy of your family.

I think if you may allow me to express of a very distinct impression that I had the first day I met you in 1982. I said to my self, this woman has pain. Was it possible that you held the pain of Samar within you before she became yours? Reading your poetry on site, I humbly think yes.

Thinking of you, praying for your peace and of Ahmed's, Omar and Qadar became even more pressing after Bassma showed me your poetry.

I go back and think of moments and hours that you used to spend at Khala Alice house in Isa Town, that deadly day of 17 September 1982 of Sabra and Shatila when we sat in our house in Ghufool with Bassma and we discussed the Palestinian conflict. I do not know if you remember, but I do. I remember a very powerful force of pain in you. I remember us loving Um Khulthoom songs while Bassam did not.

Then, on Bassma's wedding day, again I saw pain because of a personal family issue. Then, I remember you having us over to dinner at your apartment to meet Ahmed…. Then your wedding day in Hidd. So I said to myself on that day when we were among the very few that were privileged to share your happy day…. I hope her pain goes away.

I saw you – in and out since then, but I had you in my mind. I saw the happiness in your eyes the day I saw you with Omar in Seef mall. I said she raised a fine man. I have not had the honor to know Samar personally, but reading your poetry about her that is from the crux of your soul I feel I know her...

I know that I am far but I am fond of you and of the fine family, you have raised.

May you always live to pursue the powerful memory of Samar and you grow old to see Omar and Qadar support you and love and make you proud.

Simply,

Maria

No comments: